Image Map

June 25, 2013

Eating, and Drinking, and Linking, Oh My!

It's time to link up with my new bloggy friend, Christy at Teaching Tales Along the Yellow Brick Road.


I had one recipe, a particular summertime favorite (gagoots and eggs), all lined up to go, but then remembered this one. The particular summertime favorite will be next week, fer shure! What made me change my mind was a conversation that I had with my niece Becky. She was talking about the heat that we are experiencing here in NE Ohio and how all she and her family want to eat are salads. She asked me to make my special salad dressing mix for her because she had run out over the weekend what with five people eating salad everyday.

I found this recipe in our local newspaper about two years ago and was intrigued by it. I cut it out and put it in my desk drawer where it was forgotten for a few months... forgotten until I ran out of dressing one night. I remembered this recipe, pulled it out, mixed it up, and gave it a test taste... YUMMY! Just as good, if not better than its name brand sister that you purchase in the store for a LOT more money! 

If you like to use those dressing packets and mix up fresh dressing, this recipe is for you.

Italian Salad Dressing Mix

Mix together the following ingredients:
1 T. garlic salt
1 T. onion powder
1 T. white sugar
2 T. dried oregano
1 T. dried parsley
2 T. sea salt (or any kind of salt)
1 t. black pepper
1 t. dried basil
1/4 t. dried thyme
1/4 t. celery salt

Store the above dry mixture in an air tight container until you are ready to use it.

To prepare the actual dressing, whisk together: 
1/4 C. white vinegar (I have used red and balsamic as well) 
2/3 C. canola or vegetable oil (avoid olive oil if storing in the refrigerator; it solidifies when cooled)
2 T. tap water
2 T. of the above dry mixture

Make sure that it's mixed very well and pour it over your salad greens or onto a sandwich or use it to marinate chicken or steak before grilling... YUMMY!!!!!!!

Store any leftover dressing in a lidded container in the refrigerator. I've kept some for as long as three months and not had a problem with spoilage. When I make my dressing, I actually use one of those cruets that comes with the dressing packets you buy at the store. I even use the measurements on the side of the cruet for the oil, water, and vinegar and put just a heaping tablespoon of the dry mixture in it.

Happy Cooking,
Happy Teaching,
Angela
The Teacher's Desk 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!