Image Map

June 26, 2014

Tried and True Teaching Tip for Throwback Thursday

Welcome to...

Look through those PURR-fect Previous Posts, perhaps a particular favorite of yours, and re-post it! Then add this badge to your post and add your link below! Purr-fectly easy and simple! Your post doesn't have to be from LOOOONNNGGG ago; it can be from last month. And if you don't have a post to share, perhaps an old photo or two from WAYBACK will do! Even a favorite pin is PURR-fect! Just join in the Throwback fun!


I am linking my own throwback post this week to The Teaching Tribune where they are gathering Tried and True Teaching Tips today. I think my throwback post fits their topic PURR-fectly!


This post first appeared on my blog on Feb. 22, 2013. It was only the fourth post I had authored.

Besides being a teacher, I am a musician and singer. I constantly have music floating through my head and I generally walk to a beat. As a result I have always tried to include music in my teaching. Setting facts and concepts to a familiar tune and teaching it to children results in a quicker and longer retention rate of material.  It does take a bit of time to set your instructional content to music, but with the advent of YouTube it is easy to locate a piece of music for just about any concept that you must teach. Just ask the parents of  my current sixth grade class.

I had the pleasure of working with this group of students when they were in fourth grade, teaching them Science. I introduced the concept of the periodic table and its features to them during a unit on "Kitchen Chemistry." Pretty heavy stuff for fourth graders! However, knowing that these children LOVED to sing, I went in search of some music about this concept. I found a few gems on YouTube that were suitable for this age group and shared them with the class. One turned out to be quite a treasure! They beg me to let them sing it TO THIS DAY (two years later) and they have gone on to write additional verses. Nearly every one of my current sixth graders is able to recite AT LEAST the first 20 elements in the periodic table thanks to this video.


With that being said, I am pulling out an old, old song I used years ago in my Language Arts classes, one to help my students learn the purpose of each of the eight Parts of Speech. It's been hidden in a drawer of my desk, collecting dust far too long. It served my students well at one time, and since my class this year LOVES to sing, it's time to air it out once again. It was developed by me and a few staff members who were attending an after school inservice about multiple intelligences and thematic planning (hint as to the decade).

Parts of Speech song

Sung to the tune of "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush"

What are the parts of speech, parts of speech, parts of speech?
What are the parts of speech?
Listen well and learn!


Nouns,verbs and interjections, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions,
Conjunctions and adjectives
Are the parts of speech.


A noun is a naming word, naming word, naming word.
A noun is a naming word,
a person, place, or thing.


A verb is an action word, an action word, an action word.
A verb is an action word or
am, is, are, was, were.


A pronoun renames a noun, renames a noun, renames a noun.
A pronoun renames a noun:
she, he, it, they, we.


An adjective's a describing word, describing word, describing word.
An adjective's a describing word;
it tells about a noun.


An adverb describes a verb, describes a verb, describes a verb.
An adverb describes a verb:
how, when, where, how much.


Interjections shows surprise, show surprise, show surprise.
Interjections show surprise.
Oh my gosh!


Conjunctions are joining words, joining words, joining words.
Conjunctions are joining words:
and, but, or, for, yet.


In, around, about, behind, over, under, up, inside,
Into, during, with, before
These are prepositions.


Now you know the parts of speech, parts of speech, parts of speech.
Now you know the parts of speech.
You will use them in your writing.



Please feel free to borrow this song and use it with your students. I'd love to hear how the experience goes.







6 comments:

  1. I love your parts of speech song - very clever. I often turn to YouTube for songs to go with concepts, but I have never written my own song. I just love how singing can liven up a class!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song! I can just imagine teaching it to kids, and then hearing them singing it under their breath as they recall the parts of speech as they work independently on an assignment of some sort!! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *LOVE* your parts of speech song - too cute! I'm always amazed when my students come to 5th grade saying, "what's a noun again?" or "What part of speech is "running"?" Instead of pulling my hair out and crying on the inside, I will just pull out this song to serve as a reminder :)

    Thanks for sharing, friend!
    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. The elements song is going to be stuck in my head for a week now. I watched it several times. Lol! I think I've seen this one before. I'm going to be walking to this beat now too! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using music but have not been as successful finding tunes like this one! Maybe this is an idea for a new product line for you - making academic songs! I already have several topics in mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid I'd have some "runners" if I started singing, but I do love music in the classroom! I'm linking up, Angela! Come by my blog too...I'm having a linky as well! You know, great minds...
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!