Image Map

February 17, 2015

Tuesday Writing PaWs 2.17.15

A few weeks ago on Tuesday I began my series about Paragraph a Week (PaW), a writing program that was first developed by a group of 5/6th grade teachers in 1998 via a listserv. Since that initial post I've shared the background of the program, a listing of topics, and a bit about its growth. Let's look now at the very first item of the program: a sample parent letter.



This letter is meant as a sample. Each teacher should tailor-make his/her letter to suit his/her expectations and requirements. For instance, my assignments were given on Monday but due on Thursdays, and as time passed I did not use the five elements of good writing but rather the Six+1 Traits of Good Writing. This served as a communication and accountability tool. I kept the signed returns on file and made sure that I had one from each student's parent/guardian. If you opt to utilize PaW Writing, I advise you to begin with a parent letter or communication of some sort: email, classroom blog post, text message, etc. Keeping parents informed and involved always adds to student success.

This week's PaW FREEBIE is in honor of Presidents' Day and incorporates using dialog. You can download your copy by clicking HERE.



Other PaW FREEBIES currently available can be downloaded below.
Leprechauns
Earth Day
Mother's Day
Finish the Phrase
Nice
National Pencil Month
Favorite Valentine Memory
Topics soon to appear during the Tuesday Writing PaWs:
Journey of a Snowflake
Color
Signs of Spring

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great idea for meaningful homework! Thanks so much for all the freebies you've shared!! :)

    -Lisa
    Mrs. Spangler in the Middle

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!