Image Map

May 1, 2014

Ole, Ole! Throwback Thursday FREEBIE

It's time for another Throwback Thursday. This particular post was originally published on April 26, 2013, just in time for Cinco de Mayo. I hadn't yet figured out how to correctly link graphics to a website since I had only been blogging for a few months, thus the form they are in.


The CCSS ELA call for students to demonstrate command of standard English grammar when speaking and writing. At nearly all grade levels identification and usage of specific parts of speech are listed in the standards. My sixth graders (and my fifth graders) hate to practice the nitty gritty skills of Language Arts such as this, but turn it into a game or make it a fun activity like coloring mystery pictures and you've got them hooked!

Here's a parts of speech mystery picture for the upcoming holiday of Cinco de Mayo. My students, both fivers and sixers, are learning Spanish and will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo as part of their study. This mystery picture "The Fifth of May" requires students to identify nouns, verbs, adjectives, pronouns, and prepositions. You can download it HERE, or by clicking on the link below the picture.


There are two additional Cinco de Mayo mystery pictures, as well as spring themed mystery pictures, available in my TpT Store. Mystery pictures are the perfect practice activity for the spring fever fidgets. You can view them using the widget in the upper right hand sidebar of my blog or by clicking on the link to my shop.


And speaking of Cinco de Mayo...

I recently created a new ZAP! game that features Cinco de Mayo related words. ZAP! is the go-to review/practice game that my kiddos can't get enough of! I'm really looking forward to using this one with my kiddos on May 5th. In this game, students must select the two synonyms from a group of three words. You can see what the game pieces look like in the picture below and get an idea of the objective by reading the individual cards. Just click on the picture or right HERE to read more about it.



What are you planning on doing to celebrate Cinco de Mayo?






Freebie Fridays

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for linking up this week at Teaching Blog Addict and offering our follower such a terrific freebie!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!