Image Map

January 15, 2015

Throwback Thursday Returns 1.15.15

Welcome Back to...


What is Throwback Thursday? How does it work, you might ask? Simply look through your PURR-fect Previous Posts, perhaps a particular favorite of yours, and re-post it! Then add the TBT badge to your post and include your link below! Purr-fectly easy and simple! Your post doesn't have to be from LOOOONNNGGG ago; it can be from last month or even earlier this week. And if you don't have a post to share, perhaps an old photo or two from WAY BACK will do! Even a favorite pin is PURR-fect! Just join in the Throwback fun!


This week I'm celebrating the return of Throwback Thursday. It's been on hiatus for a few weeks over the holiday break. My students have been somewhat on hiatus as well, and I've had to be a bit more attentive to classroom management techniques since we've returned. This week's TBT post is about one of my favorite management items. This post first appeared on The Teacher's Desk 6 on Nov. 8, 2014.

It's sometimes a chore to figure out how to place students in cooperative groups. Do you, the teacher, do the exclusive grouping? Do you allow your students to make their own choices? Or do you simply randomly select groups?

I like to use all three techniques depending on the project, time frame, and general mood of the class (or me). When it comes to random grouping,  I use several different methods: software program, apps, slips of paper, popsicle sticks, and grouping cards. This last method is my current crop of sixers' favorite way to form their cooperative groups. I'm not sure what the attraction is, but it's evident from their faces and behavior that they really enjoy the activitiy. They especially LOVE to group themselves in silence while using the cards. Silence and a class of 28 sixth graders all moving about their classroom usually do not go hand-in-hand!


In the above video you see my sixers using a set of Halloween grouping cards. They have also used a set in celebration of Back to School, a set to form Literature Circles, a set with Biblical characters, and one decorated with images of cute zombies (yep, cute!). I like to change the cards with the seasons and holidays to keep them interested and spark their motivation. If you haven't tried grouping cards with your class yet, you might want to grab a set to implement in your own classroom.

I can't wait to share my newest set with my class this coming week.


The newest set of grouping cards has been a HUGE hit with my sixers! They are fanatical about all things zombie (as is their teacher... yes, I do admit this!) Recently I came across another cute set of zombie clipart, snowman crafted by Teaches Third in Georgia. They were perfect for a wintry set of grouping cards, bringing smiles and giggles to a mundane task. What do you think?






You can grab this set to use in your classroom from my TpT Store for only a buck. Just click HERE to read more about the cards and see a few other pics.



Now it's your turn for a Throwback.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!