Image Map

October 2, 2013

Student Mentors: The Feast of the Guardian Angels

Angel of God, My Guardian Dear...

I first wrote about my sixers being buddies, or mentors, to our second grade students a few weeks ago in THIS BLOG POST. I can not express how wonderful an opportunity this project is for my students. They take on a completely different persona during "buddy" time. Even the most immature sixth grader becomes a serious mentor to his second grade buddy.

Today we celebrated the Feast of the Guardian Angels. As part of that celebration my sixers  helped their second grade buddy transform a square of wrapping paper, a paper circle, and a pipe cleaner into a guardian angel that can be hung in their room to help them remember their angel is always present, watching over them... to light and guard, to rule and guide, as the Guardian Angel prayer reminds us.

As I directed the activity I couldn't help but notice how caring, patient, and gentle my big kids were with their younger buddies. Now as I look at the photos that my teaching buddy snapped during our activity, I see an awful lot of sixth grade angels watching over second grade students. I don't know who looks forward to weekly buddy time more: me or my sixers?









After we finished working with our buddies, we returned to our classroom where I awarded each sixth grader with a special brag tag (we are LOVIN' brag tags this year) for learning the Guardian Angel prayer.



This is only one tag from the set Catholic Prayers Brag Tags available in my TpT Store. You're invited to stop in my store and see the complete set as well as brag tags for other occasions. Kids love earning these inexpensive, simple rewards.



Happy Teaching,
Angela
The Teacher's Desk 6

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have the directions for making these angels! I too teach in a Catholic school (second grade) and am a new follower of your blog and TpT store.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!