Image Map

September 22, 2013

Peek at My Week and a Sentence FREEBIE

OK, where does the time go? It's already time for...


I've another busy week in the planning, nothing out of the ordinary. All teachers are always busy. At least this week I don't have to worry about inservices or evening events at school, just a regular week.

My sixers are buddies to the second graders. They act as mentors for the younger students. We go to mass together at school and we do special projects together. This past week my sixers and their buddies began work on quilt squares that represent them. They worked together coloring the squares and getting to know each other a little better.





This weekend I laminated all 40+ squares (the laminator at school is on the fritz and is not on the repair list) at home so that during the week a few of my sixers and the second grade teacher and I can start fashioning them together to form a cross which we will use all year as part of our liturgical environment during worship services. Our goal is to get it all together by this Thursday when we have out first K-12th grade mass. Keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer for us, please!

This week I'll be finishing up a sentence unit with my eighth graders. They have been learning about independent and dependent clauses via the concept of mentor sentences. This week they will show me what they've learned. On top of a mentor sentence quiz, they will be asked to complete this foldable wherein they must define and write specific sentences. You can snag a copy of the foldable by clicking on the pic.


Later in the week, my eighth graders will begin a project for the book The Coffin Quilt by Ann Rinaldi. They will be required to respond to comprehension questions (all Common Core based) via Padlet, one of my favorite interactive websites. Here's the first item they will work with, a quote from the prologue. Keep peeking back during the week to see each student's contribution.



My niece's garden is finally yielding some produce (it's not been a good year around here for gardens) and I've got some beautiful green peppers just begging to be cooked... stuffed peppers is on the menu for one evening.... YUM, can't wait!

I can't wait to get a peek at your week, so be sure to link up with Jennifer over at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings. Have a wonderful week!

Happy Teaching,
Angela
The Teacher's Desk 6


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
Freebie Fridays

2 comments:

  1. I love that your kids buddy with younger kids. We have a Kindergarten + Sixth Grade buddy program that is going on 20 years.
    And how cool that they go to mass together... They're spiritual buddies too!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's GREAT that you have 6th graders mentoring 2nd graders! Not only do the 2nd graders love it, but the 6th graders can see first hand the positive impact they can have by being good role models. Have a great week!
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!