Image Map

November 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Homework Management System

Welcome to...

What is Throwback Thursday? How does it work, you might ask? Simply look through your PURR-fect Previous Posts, perhaps a particular favorite of yours, and re-post it! Then add the TBT badge to your post and include your link below! Purr-fectly easy and simple! Your post doesn't have to be from LOOOONNNGGG ago; it can be from last month or even earlier this week. And if you don't have a post to share, perhaps an old photo or two from WAY BACK will do! Even a favorite pin is PURR-fect! Just join in the Throwback fun!


This post originally appeared on The Teacher's Desk 6 on Nov. 23, 2013.

I have the luxury of knowing and working with my sixers while they are still in fifth grade. This year's crop were hesitant homework completers last year so I knew going into this current school year that I would need to work on this very important skill/habit. BUT what to do?

I did a LOT of thinking, a little praying, and a TREMENDOUS bit of Pinteresting! Beginning last spring,  I repeatedly began seeing pins for brag tags (used these years ago, but got discouraged with the trouble of finding/making them), punch cards (used these years ago also), and no homework coupons (use these ALL the time as gifts for my kiddos). These pins got me to thinking... and deciding... and creating!

I decided to set up a homework reward system for my sixers this year. Consisting of a homework punch card...

... Each assignment successfully completed and turned in on time receives a punch. For every five punches, a student receives a brag tag which are collected for special prizes (treats, pencils, erasers, etc.)...


... Fill up the punch card and earn a no homework coupon!


I am VERY happy to say that my sixers (and my fifth grade Language Arts students) are great at completing their homework and turning it in on time! They love to hear me say, "Yea, I get to punch you!" (we have new tags each month). They enjoy collecting the brag tags (I've quite a collection amassed in my TpT store with more coming), and they ADORE the no homework coupons! This system REALLY works for my students.

Here's a little FREEBIE for you, to get you started with your own homework reward system,  a thank you for reading my blog and following me through bloggyland, and for sharing your ideas with me. Just click HERE or on the graphic below to download your copy. 



Now it's your turn for a THROWBACK!



1 comment:

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!