Image Map

October 17, 2014

Five for Friday and a Freebie

It's been quite a long time since I last joined Doodlebugs for...

FIRST... My sixers have finally selected their second grade buddies. The matches just seem to be perfect this year! We've met with our little friends several times already to work on a MONSTROUSLY fun project. Together the buddy pairs made monsters and are writing a story "My Monster and Me!" They have also written and sent cards to each other. SO CUTE!
SECOND... We have finished our first round of Literature Circles, using Lauren Tarshis's newest I Survived book about Pompeii. My kiddos LOVE these historical fiction books! I think it's because each book is so easy to read yet full of suspense and realistic adventure. They are compelled to research the actual historical event and compare the facts with the fiction. Can you say, "Common Core" with little headache? We can hardly wait for Tarshis's next book, due out in February, about the Great Chicago Fire.
THIRD... Here's a little FREEBIE to go along with our Literature Circles.
It's one of the foldables that we use in our Interactive Notebooks. You can download a copy HERE if you'd like!. You can also find it here, along with LOTS more freebies.

Freebie Fridays


FOURTH... We are really into Science this year. I have a whole crop of budding scientists! I've tried hard to include at least one investigation each week. Here we are using Mixing It Up in the Middle's Candy Corn Challenge as an end of the week STEM challenge.

FIFTH... Speaking of Science! I have been blessed this year to partner with the chemistry professor at the local branch of Kent State University, Dr. Ann Abraham. She visited my classroom this week and morphed my sixers into chemists! They learned about mixing chemicals, how to determine the ph of a substance, and created their own soda pop and jammin' jelly.
TWO things before you hop off to Doodle Bugs for Teaching to read more Five for Friday posts...

Check out this fun linky for Halloween teaching items.
You can even add your own.
Jane has a WONDERFUL celebration going on.
Be sure to visit her blog and enter to win some terrific teaching products.



1 comment:

  1. I love your flipagrams! I have to look into these! I think it's so cool that you have second grade buddies!! My daughter is a second grader, and she would LOVE to have a sixth grade buddy. The projects turned out great, and those thank you notes are adorable! I wish I could join your literature circles... looks like there was some great discussion going on. How many groups do you have going? How do they pick groups?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!