Image Map

February 7, 2014

Five for Friday with a Cheery Freebie

It's that time again, and thanks to yet another SNOW cold day I am joining Doodle Bugs for her weekly linky ON TIME for the second time in a row.


FIRST...The weather here in NE Ohio has just been ridiculous this winter! Today was originally scheduled as a teacher in-service day. However, because we needed to make-up two calamity days, it was rescheduled as MAKE-UP DAY ONE. Instead it is being spent as SNOW COLD DAY #11... sigh!

SECOND... Even though we missed two three days this week, we managed to get a LOT of learning squeezed in. I still haven't managed to complete a special collaborative project with my online bloggy friend Deb Hanson of Crafting Connections, but it's coming along thanks to my student teacher, Ms. Murphy. We should be able to complete it next week... if the weather holds (there is snow predicted for Sunday into Monday...double sigh!!).

Ms. Murphy sharing a picture book about genre.
Working on a matrix for My Side of the Mountain gr. 6
The completed matrix
Practicing nonfiction text structures with task card SCATTER gr. 8

THIRD...  I haven't really had to write lesson plans for more than a week. I just started writing my plans on post-it notes. That way when we have a snow day I just move the post-it to the next in-session day and VOILA... instant lesson plan! My plan book is now colorful and interactive, an IPB (interactive plan book), if you will! LOL! I don't have my plan book at home, or I would've taken a photo to show you, but I think you can picture it.

FOURTH...  I managed to squeak in some time at school this past week to do some organizing and general clean-up in my classroom. Actually, what happened was that the majority of the student population attended a FUN DAY celebration on Tuesday (that's why I said there really was only two days to our week). There were only four students in grs.3-6 who did not attend, and I chose to remain at school with them for the day. We had the best time: coloring, learning about symmetry, making posters, and even CLEANING! My ZAP! games were taking over what little shelf space that I have. While the kids and I were sorting through the Science cupboard I unearthed a hanging shoe ZAP!sorter. LOVIN' it!


FIFTH... It wouldn't be Friday without a FREEBIE! I've started to include game boards with the SCOOT/SCATTER task card items that I offer in my TpT Store. Using a game board is a fun, engaging way to use task cards with a small group of students. Here's a Cheery Cherry Game Board in honor of February, National Cherry Month. Download your freebie HERE, grab a set of task cards, and enjoy a game or two!
Game board is part of Cheery Cherry Adjective SCOOT

Happy Teaching,
Angela
The Teacher's Desk 6
Freebie Fridays

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

3 comments:

  1. Snow/Cold Day #11?!?! That's crazy! Has that reached an all-time high for you yet for one school year? I love your shoe sorter/game organizer!
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11 days?! That is crazy! I can definitely understand why you are putting your plans on post-its!

    Amy
    Eclectic Educating

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! 11 days! I do remember one year when the snow kept coming and coming,and we missed two full weeks! I couldn't get up my driveway and was going stir crazy! I ended up cleaning the baseboards in the apartment. Hope you are staying warm!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!