Image Map

September 2, 2013

A Peek at My Week 9/1/13 and a FREEBIE

I'm joining in the fun with Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for a Peek at My Week.



Monday is Labor Day so there is no school... ah! I can catch up with housework (I procrastinated all weekend) and get my lesson planning done. We are supposed to have a cook out at my niece's; however, the weather is threatening to be too soggy... boo hoo! I am looking forward to bbq'd chicken so I hope it doesn't rain (like it is right now, falling in sheets). AND I'm looking forward to watching my favorite TV show "Under the Dome." I am hopelessly addicted!




Today is the day all three of my classes will start their second set of mentor sentences. LOVIN' this! I still need to search through the eighth grade book to find one that is a compound sentence. My sixers have finally finished their hand projects and will now move on to describing themselves with words instead of just pictures as well as setting goals for the year. We'll be completing a pennant banner just in time for Meet the Teacher Night. I just need to get everything hung for display.


This is my long day since we have Meet the Teacher Night tonight... sigh! I love greeting and talking with my parents and I'm looking forward to meeting all the new parents; however, as I get older it is getting increasingly hard to put in all the regular teaching hours as well as the extra ones in the evening, then turn around and do a full day the next. To take the edge off today I'm going to do a fun learning activity with  my eighth graders for the first time. I've been preparing lessons based on Nick's Tunes Tuesday at Sweet Rhyme Pure Reason since summer. Today will be the first that I will actually do. Here's a copy of the worksheet I'll use with my kiddos and a link to the song the work is based on. This song,"Born to Be Somebody" matches nicely with the book we are reading, Underground by Jean Ferris.





The temperature is supposed to cool off by today and the humidity is supposed to disappear. Even though this is the day after a long evening at school, I am looking forward to the relief in weather. The kiddos have really been troupers for the first weeks of school because it has been HOT, HOT, HOT in my room. I'm hoping to introduce Padlet to my fifth graders today and Tagxedo to my sixers. My fifth graders will be answering some questions about our read aloud book "Apple Island" and my sixers will be creating word clouds about themselves. This is the first technology I'm integrating into our Language Arts lesson this year, but it definitely won't be the last.


I am soooo looking forward to this day, nothing about teaching, no! My niece is planning on making Red Soup, a family recipe and our favorite. This usually marks the beginning of fall for us. I realize the calendar still says summer, but we wait for this dish from April when we have it last. Red Soup or Italian Soup is a type of tomato/beef soup eaten with pasta that looks like melon seeds. I'm not even sure where the recipe came from since there is not a drop of Italian ancestry in our family (just lived and grew up in an Italian neighborhood). My mom used to make it, then my sis (since she was older than I). Now either my niece or I do the cooking and all of us get together. I can smell it cooking now! YUM!

So that's my week! What have you got planned?

Happy Teaching,
Angela
The Teachersdesk 6


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

4 comments:

  1. I had forgotten all about Nick's Tune Tuesday. Thanks for the reminder. Good luck with your Meet the Teacher night. I love meeting the families.

    Lori

    Life in Room 24

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Angela,found you at Manic Monday! Thanks for sharing your freebie. It sounds like you have a busy week coming up (is there ever a week in school that isn't busy???), so I hope it all goes well for you!

    Linda
    Primary Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Nick's Tunes Tuesday! Thanks so much for sharing. :)
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like everyone saved their housework until today....What were we thinking???

    Thanks for linking up! Have a great week!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!