Image Map

January 28, 2018

Let the Games Begin

The Winter Games are beginning soon! If you are like me, I like to include current events and holidays in my classroom lessons, but if you're like me you struggle with time. There is so much that needs to be included in daily lessons that special themes and activities often get shut out. I've found that one of the best ways to include current events is via fun and engaging practice activities like mystery pictures or games of SCOOT or ZAP (my students' favorite). I can squeeze these into morning work, literacy centers, or as time-fillers.

Here are a few that I will be using with my fifth/sixth graders when the Winter Games begin. The activities require little to no prep and are perfect to just pop into your already busy classroom agenda. To read more about each activity or download a copy for use in your classroom, simply click on the link provided below each graphic.

Winter Games Mystery Pictures
Parts of Speech
There's no mystery about it! One of the most fun and engaging ways for students to practice identifying parts of speech is by coloring a mystery picture! This set of mystery pictures adds an additional element of fun in that students can celebrate the Winter Olympic games while doing their English work.

Winter Games ZAP!
Alphabetical Order
ZAP! is a fun and engaging way to have students practice any kind of skill from adding and subtracting to identifying fact and opinion statements. This ZAP! game requires students to alphabetize four Winter Olympics related words per card.

Winter Games SCOOT
Multiplying Fractions

Scoot is a popular game played in many elementary school classrooms. Easily adapted to any content area and grade level, Scoot makes for a welcome change from just completing a worksheet for skill practice. Scoot cards may also be used as task cards in a math center.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!