Image Map

October 17, 2017

October Show and Tell Tuesday

It's time for another month of...
 This month I'm featuring photos of all things SCIENCE!
Something new that I just started is an after school robotics club for my  kids in the middle. Any students in fifth through eighth grade who enjoy computers and coding and all things tech were invited to participate. Thirteen students signed up with more interested once fall sports are concluded. Here you see two fifth graders building their Lego robot. We meet again in two weeks when we will start coding programs to make the robots move! Such fun!


 STEM challenge No. 2 for my sixth graders: build the tallest free-standing tower on a foundation of wooden bricks and sticks. Oh my, the struggle... it's REAL!


Dr. Ann, the chemistry teacher from our local branch university, paid her first visit to ALL of my science classes. She presented a lesson on using scientific glassware, measuring, and Archimedes' principle.


AND finally, as I end all monthly Show and Tell posts, a pic of my two fuzz girls. They are actually sitting together again after a two month hiatus. It's definitely not sisterly love that draws them together this month, but rather a brand new blanket that's supposed to be my blanket. Each of the girls has claimed that warm, fuzzy patch as her own and won't relinquish to the other. They LOVE the new blanket more than they dislike each other... LOL!


Be sure to stop by Forever in 5th Grade for more October Show and Tell posts. It's a great way to keep up with terrific teachers in the education bloggy world!




7 comments:

  1. Love the STEM challenge! The kids really get into problem solving.
    Beti
    Once a Teacher, Always a Teacher


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Your cat blurb made me smile. I have two cats that really don't like one another. But, now that the weather is colder they'll both sit with me in the recliner. When there's a warm lap, they are willing to tolerate each other. Have a great week.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  3. STEM, or STEAM challenges are the best. My fives love them. They built a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Tree with cylinders, wide green popsicle sticks and magnetic letters, trying to see which tree would hold the most letters. They had a blast and wanted to do it again and again. I'm always looking for these sorts of things. I'm wondering how they would do with your little shot glasses (we have them for our light table) and index cards in between... hmmm... Thanks for sharing. See you around! Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your classroom looks like such fun! And how great that you get to have such a great guest in your room too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that your middle schoolers have the opportunity to do robotics! As a mom of an engineering college student, I know what an impact that can have! Thanks for linking up!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great STEM activities! Your students are very lucky. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

    Heidi Raki
    www.rakisradresources.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how focused you are on STEM! Our 5th-grade is just starting to explore STEM activities this year.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a little message and let me know you've visited!